A special guest blog posting from Donna Earl – A.K.A. “The Help Desk Coach”
The beginning of a new year is perfect timing to revisit your help desk’s performance and make improvements for the year ahead.
Here are the top 8 tips to refresh and reboot your service desk performance!
- Survey your customers. Ask them what they appreciated about your service in the past year. Ask users what changes would make the service desk more supportive.
- Survey your help desk agents. Ask staff what they thought they did well in the past year. Ask what they can improve in 2017.
- Provide updated technical skills training. Training is especially impactful at the beginning of the year.
- Assess your agents’ customer service skills. Refreshing customer service skills is a good way to start the year. Get started now!
- Analyze service requests from your user base, and make sure you’re efficiently addressing the most frequent requests.
- Revisit and update your self-help portal/FAQs. Verify customer/user support needs are reflected in self-help. If your support function doesn’t offer self-support for your user base, 2017 is the year and time to implement one.
- Fine tune your management skills and resolve to provide more guidance to your team by increased contact monitoring and feedback.
- Make a point of focusing on employee motivation in 2017. In addition to increased training, provide agents feedback on job performance, kudos for contacts well handled, flex time and flex hours if you have that option, and more opportunities for staff to bond informally over food and fun.
Looking at customer and employee feedback with new eyes, and refocusing on service, employee motivation, and performance will help your service desk raise the bar in 2017.
©Donna Earl, 2017
Help Desk Coach