In this article, we will show you how to set up forwarding in G Suite / Gmail.
We also covered some additional options that you can find useful.
Here’s a list of all the topics that you’ll find:
- Setting up forwarding in Google Gmail (G Suite)
- Forwarding just a part of your emails (creating a filter)
- Transferring emails from the “Spam” folder
- Forwarding using Google Groups
Watch this short video to learn how to set up forwarding from Gmail:
Or follow these steps:
- Open Gmail application and click the gear icon in your inbox. Choose “Settings”
- Choose the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- Click “Add a forwarding address”.
- Enter your HelpDesk address (to be found in HelpDesk Settings -> Inboxes), click “Next” and “Proceed”.
- * Check your HelpDesk dashboard—you will then receive a message with a verification (note: sometimes it’s not necessary).
- * Enter the verification code in the Gmail settings and click “Verify”.
- Select “Forward a copy of incoming mail to “firstname.lastname@example.org”. Choose what to do with the forwarded messages: keep them in your Gmail Inbox, mark them as “read”, archive or delete them.
- Click “Save Changes”. To learn more, visit the official Google support page at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10957?hl=en
(*) - sometimes it’s not necessary
If you want to forward just a part of your messages, you can create a filter. It’s useful, for example, when you want to forward messages from a specific email address or those with a chosen keyword in the subject.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Gmail application and click the gear icon in your inbox. Choose “Settings”.
- Choose the “Filters and Blocked Addresses” tab.
- Click “Create a new filter”.
- Now you need to create your filter. You can use multiple options. There are 8 main criteria to chose:
- From whom the message came
- To whom the message is addressed
- The subject of the message
- Has the words (messages with specific words)
- Doesn’t have (messages without specific words)
- Size of the messages
- If the message has an attachment
- Don’t include chats Choose your filter criteria and click on “Create filter”.
- Select “Forward it to” and choose your HelpDesk address (to be found in HelpDesk Settings -> Inboxes), click “Create filter” and voila!
Since now, all messages that meet selected conditions will be redirected to HelpDesk.
By default, Gmail doesn’t forward emails that are marked as spam. You may find that you need to take care of these emails as well. If, for example, one of your customer’s email addresses will accidentally be flagged as spam.
But there is a simple way to forward all the messages from your “Spam” folder.
Firstly, disable forwarding if you’re already using it to redirect messages.
Then, create a Gmail filter. To do this, click the sprocket icon and go to Settings -> Filters and Blocked Addresses. Click “Create a new filter”.
In the “Has the words” section put „deliveredto:youremailaddress”
Click “Create filter”.
In the next step, you’re asked what to do with those messages.
In the “Forward it to:” section, enter your HelpDesk’s forwarding address. You’ll find it in Inboxes settings.
The last thing you need to do is to select “Never send it to Spam” and click “Create filter”.
You will see a warning informing you that this filter will forward Spam.
After submitting, you’ll see the filter that allows you to forward all messages with Spam to HelpDesk.
If you’re using Groups in G Suite you can add HelpDesk forwarding address as one of the email address in your group.
Firstly, open G Suite administrator console. Remember that only admin of the domain can access this settings.
You will see all your Google Groups. Select the group in which you want to place HelpDesk forwarding address (to be found in HelpDesk Settings -> Inboxes).
Open the “Members” section.
Click on a yellow button with “+” and “Add members”.
Here you need to fill your HelpDesk’s forwarding address and click on “Add to group". You can find your HelpDesk’s forwarding address in Inboxes settings.
Now you’ll see a new address added to your Google Group and the process is finished.
Creating a new Google Group
If you don’t have a Google Group created, you can do it in a few simple steps.
First, go to the Google Groups list and click on “Create group”.
Fill in Group details such as Name and Group email. You will also have to choose a group owner.
Then, it’s important to enable External “Publish posts”. Otherwise you won’t be able to receive any messages from outside your organization. After that click on “Create Group”.
Last screen shows you summary of your new group. Click “Done” and you can now start adding HelpDesk address to this group as we described above.
Do you need any other help? Chat with us! We’re available 24/7.